Pool Rummy is a popular card game variant with a rich tradition and past in the Indian sub-continent. Countless stories and anecdotes have been revolving around this game among families and friends for the past several decades now to mark a consistent hallmark of this skill-based sport. This proud journey (read: evolution) has led to the birth of different sub-variants like 101 and 201 Pool Rummy and is further powered by exciting alternatives like Deal Rummy etc.
Like everything else, the shape and ingredients of this card game have evolved with time. Here we will talk about some of the prominent variants of pool rummy and the various innovations in the trending online realm of gaming. We will also introduce you to the online version of rummy and explore advantageous options on online portals that shall serve you in the best possible way on your game today.
Leading Pool Rummy Variants: Which one should you choose?
The creation of a fresh world of virtual reality games would have almost pushed rummy to the fallen edge if it had not found a new home in the online gaming verse. The internet has added several new features to this classic game that makes it even more fun and rewarding at once. Various online gaming platforms today have added numerous variants and game types to offer more choices to players. They all revolve around a simple set of basic rules of pool rummy and you may get learn them easily.
All domestic gaming platforms showcase the classical Indian form of rummy that’s played with 13 cards. The 13-card rummy game is played between 2 to 6 players where all players are dealt 13 cards and they need to meld their cards by forming valid sets and sequences in the least amount of time to win the game.
This 13-card rummy is further separated into a variety of forms. We will talk about one popular variant of rummy today that’s thriving in the online realm- Pool Rummy and its basic rules that you should know.
The Basic Rules of Pool Rummy
This is one of the most popular versions of rummy in which the main objective is to score the least number of points in totality. It is played by ‘pooling in’ money from all the players that shall collectively form the prize pool. In online rummy, players must pay a fixed buy-in amount that shall create the prize pool. You are also offered additional features to ramp up your game.
Pool rummy is halved into two kinds.
- 101 Pool Rummy
In 101 Pool Rummy, any player who reaches 101 points due to the inability to make valid sets or sequences will be eliminated from the game. The player who forms all proper sets and sequences without any remaining idle cards in the least possible time compared to his opponents is awarded 0 points and becomes the winner.
The winner’s amount depends on the buy-in amount, total number of players and the total number of unpaired cards in a game.
Rules of 101 Rummy Variant-
So, let’s get down straight to the basic 101 pool rummy rules.
- The dealer deals 13 cards to each player. The number of cards is constant in both online and live variations.
- Each player can leave the game at any point by clicking on the “Drop” button. However, the sudden act comes with a price.
- A player’s “First drop” will cost 20 points whereas a “Middle Drop” will cost 40 points.
- The “Full Drop” is a rather costly one that shall cost you 80 points.
- Each player must compete to form valid sets and sequences in the least possible time than any other opponent.
- Players may use one or more jokers to complete their sets and sequences
- All players receive points based on the sum of the numerical values of their redundant cards.
- Any player who has received 101 points or more in the game gets eliminated from the game right away.
These are the basic rules of 101 pool rummy that you need to know before you play this variant on an online platform. The best way to learn them all is to play free or practice games online.
2. 201 Pool Rummy
The objective of 201 pool rummy is the same as the former kind- that is, to form valid sets and sequences in the least possible time. The player with the lowest points at the end of the game is declared the winner. The basic change of scenario is the cut-off point that almost doubles from 101 to 201.
Rules of 201 Rummy Variant –
- This is also a 13-card game where each player must make the best possible sets and sequences with the help of a joker card (if available).
- Each player may quit the game using the “Drop” option. As usual, you got to pay for the same but slightly higher than the former.
- The “First Drop” will cost players 25 points, the “Middle Drop” will add 50 points in their tally.
- The “Full Drop” will cost a whole of 80 full points at once.
- All remaining players on the table will receive points according to the numerical value of the unused cards.
- Any player who scores 201 or more points in the game will be eliminated at once.
There are various free entry tourneys, practice games and real money games on online rummy platforms with a different set of variants. Most online portals follow the standard rules of the game that we discussed today. If you wish to try this game right away, you may download an amazing pool rummy app that’s 100% legal and trustworthy.
It is called RummyBaazi, and it is powered by the online gaming behemoth Baazi Games Pvt. Ltd. that operates other similar skill-based sports like Poker and Fantasy Cricket on its dedicated portals. We also recommend you check out the all-new RummyBaazi app to enjoy a highly rewarding structure of rummy tournaments in all existing 13 card variants and win from an exciting pool of rewards there. New players can also go through its simple-to-know basic rules of pool rummy on its portal to take your first step towards playing online games in India. Playing Practice Games is crucial to their progress as well. As and when they get better with the basics, they can jump on to play the cash variants as well and take their swipe at the INR 4 LAC worth Baazi Rewards (loyalty rewards program) there.
The New Year is all about trying new things that reward you in plenty and make you happy. So, make this intelligent transition from the offline world to the online world of excitement, thrill and awesome rewards on a portal that best reflects your interests today.